Open

Virginia Tech is firmly planted in the National Capital Region (NCR) and continues to advance the university missions of instruction, research, and outreach. With humble beginnings in a Reston farmhouse, which served as a graduate center in 1969, the National Capital Region campuses today include the Northern Virginia Center (NVC) in Falls Church and three locations in Old Town Alexandria, including the Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). Some 1,077 graduate students are enrolled in more than 45 graduate degree programs taught by 120 full-time faculty members.More than 85 active researchers are responsible for research expenditures in excess of $15 million, and growing.  The region’s outreach program provides noncredit educational services to more than 1,600 individuals annually.

The following timeline provides a look at how Virginia Tech has grown and continually affirms a strong presence in the National Capital Region by adding buildings, creating new graduate programs and research centers, and forming notable collaborations and partnerships that further foster education and research.

1949


1954


1963


1969

Farm House

Virginia Tech opens the door to its first Northern Virginia Graduate Center, located in a Reston farmhouse on Sunset Hill Road. Homer Kempfer is appointed the first director of the center. There are two resident faculty members, a part-time staff, and 65 students.

 


1970


1971


1972


1973

Dulles Airport

Having outgrown space in a Reston farmhouse, Virginia Tech moves its graduate center to the first floor of the Dulles International Airport Gateway 1 building.


 


1974


1978


1979


1980


1981

Telestar

Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia move their shared graduate center in the region from the first floor of the Dulles International Airport Gateway 1 building to Telestar Court in Falls Church.

 


1982


1984

EMC

(left to right) Former Virginia Tech President William Lavery, former Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation Trustee Leonard T. Scully, Senator John Warner, Mrs. Jean Ellen duPont Shehan, University of Maryland President Dr. John Toll and Dr. G. Frederick Fregin cut the ribbon at the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center's dedication ceremony in October 1984.

Students Vist FDR Memorial in Washington DC

Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center at 17690 Old Waterford Road at Morven Park

 

 

1985


1986


1991

WAAC

The Virginia Tech Foundation sells the building at 101 Columbus Street and purchases a historic building in Old Town Alexandria, the old schoolhouse at 1001 Prince Street. It becomes the permanent home for the College of Architecture and Urban Studies' Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). Built in 1910 as the Lee School for Girls, the City of Alexandria used the building as a public school until 1980.


1992


1993


1994


1995


1997

NVC

In 1997, Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia dedicates the Northern Virginia Center (NVC), a 105,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art graduate center located adjacent to the West Falls Church Metro station. At the ribbon cutting ceremony (left to right) were: Paul Torgersen, President, Virginia Tech; John Casteen, President, University of Virginia; Dale Dover, Mayor of Falls Church; Katherine Hanley, Chairman, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors; U.S. Senator Chuck Robb; U.S. Representative Tom Davis, and Virginia Delegate Bob Hull.

NVC

Northern Virgina Center, 7054 Haycock Road, Falls Church.

 

 


1999

ARI

The Alexandria Research Institute (ARI) launches at 405 South Washington Street, Alexandria, to provide a platform for engineering and computer science researchers to interact with their counterparts in academia, government, and industry in the metropolitan DC area. ARI also serves as a gateway to the R&D base at the main campus in Blacksburg. (Renamed Advanced Research Institute in 2005.)


2000


2001


2002


2003

1021 Prince

The Metropolitan Institute (MI) at Virginia Tech and other graduate programs move into a newly renovated building at 1021 Prince Street in Old Town Alexandria. The building was purchased by the Virginia Tech Foundation in 2001.

 

 


2004


2005

ARI in Arlington

The Alexandria Research Institute (ARI) moves to the Ballston area of Arlington and is renamed the Advanced Research Institute.

 

 


Virginia Tech President Charles Steger addresses graduates speech

Virginia Tech holds its 25th National Capital Region commencement ceremony. Pictured right is Virginia Tech President Charles Steger addresses graduates at the 25th National Capital Region commencement ceremony.

 

The first cohort at MBA department

The first cohort in the Pamplin College of Business Executive MBA Program graduates in 2005. The graduates are pictured here with former Vice President Walter Mondale who addressed participants and guests during a ceremony at Mount Vernon.

 


2006


2007

President Charles Steger answers questions

President Charles Steger answers questions during a press event to launch the Energy Efficiency Partnership of Greater Washington in 2007.

 



2008

Congressman Jim Moran as a guest speaker

Congressman Jim Moran, of Virginia's Eighth Congressional District, was a guest speaker when Virginia Tech President Charles Steger announced in 2008 that Virginia Tech is building a major research center in the Ballston area of Arlington.

 


2009

Artist Rendering of Ballston Building

Construction is underway on Virginia Tech’s major research center in the Ballston area of Arlington. The seven-story 144,000 square-foot building will be owned by the Virginia Tech Foundation.

 

Students Vist FDR Memorial in Washington DC

Left to right, Seong K Mun, professor of Physics and research fellow at the Virginia Tech Institute for Advanced Study; Charles Steger, president, Virginia Tech; Jim Bohland, vice president and executive director, Virginia Tech National Capital Region Operations; John Dooley, vice president for Outreach and International Affairs; Ted Settle, director, Office of Economic Development; and Bob Walters, vice president for research visited the site.


2010


2011

Students Vist FDR Memorial in Washington DC

In January, the Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC) expanded its footprint in Old Town, leasing a corner property one block east of its main building on Prince Street. The new property at 901 Prince includes studio, seminar, and office space for National Capital Region faculty and students in landscape architecture and architecture.


Students Vist FDR Memorial in Washington DC

More than 150 members of the scientific community from greater Washington, D.C., gather for a Meet the Scientists event, organized in the National Capital Region to maximize the opportunities for networking among scientists and to provide a forum for sharing Virginia Tech's research capabilities in the new research center at the National Capital Region, in Roanoke, and in Blacksburg.

Students Vist FDR Memorial in Washington DC

Virginia Tech Research Center—Arlington opens to expand capability for scientific inquiry, extend university footprint in National Capital Region. A number of already established Virginia Tech research centers and institutes, previously located throughout the northern Virginia area, are moved to the new facility, owned by the Virginia Tech Foundation. These include the Advanced Research Center, the Center for Geospatial Information Technology, the Center for Society, Culture and Environment, the Center for Technology, Security and Policy, and the Virginia Bioinformatics Institute

Students Vist FDR Memorial in Washington DC

Cutting the ribbon at Virginia Tech Research Center -- Arlington in June 2011 are left to right, Virginia Tech President Charles W. Steger; Congressman Jim Moran; National Capital Region Operations Vice President and Executive Director Jim Bohland, and Arlington County Board Chairman Chris Zimmerman.



2012


2013

601 Prince Street

With termination of the lease at 901 Prince Street in Old Town Alexandria, the Virginia Tech Foundation purchases a 1,200-square-foot Greek Revival-style building constructed in 1840 at 601 Prince Street, bringing the total number of university buildings to five within a five-block radius. 601 Prince Street houses offices for six to seven faculty members and design studio space for 75 students enrolled in masters and Ph.D. programs in architecture and landscape architecture offered by the College of Architecture and Urban Studies at the Washington-Alexandria Architecture Center.


2014


2015


2016