The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program exists to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges. The purpose of the J-1 program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences, and to encourage Americans to participate in educational and cultural programs in other countries.
Incoming scholars should contact the International Advisor to schedule a time for orientation.
Information on the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program can be found in the links below. An overview of the J-1 program and additional information can be found on the Virginia Tech International Support Services website.
- Immigration Basics for Graduate Coordinators - Basic immigration-related information for departmental staff who work with international students.
- What is SEVIS? - A quick overview of the SEVIS immigration system and its requirements.
Departments interested in hosting scholars, please visit the Virginia Tech International Support Services website for VT Hosts for more information.
- Area Airports - Information about the region's 3 area airports, and how to travel from them to the Northern Virginia Center or other destination.
- Housing - Resources to help you locate housing in the National Capital Region.
- Climate and Weather - Information about the weather and climate in the National Capital Region.