Maintaining Your Status
- Change of Status - Information regarding what is necessary to change your immigration status, as well as instructions and links for how to do so.
- Extending Your F-1 Status - Steps to apply for an extension of your F-1 status.
- Extending Your J-1 Status - Steps to apply for an extension of your J-1 Status.
- Maintaining Your F-1 & J-1 Status - Important information regarding the necessary academic requirements to maintain your immigration status while in the U.S.
- Reinstatement - Information about, and explanation of process for, how to apply for reinstatement if you have violated your immigration status.
- Transferring - If you plan on transferring to or from Virginia Tech, please review the information on this link, as it explains how to have your SEVIS record transferred to or from Virginia Tech. (NC)
- Visa - Information on the visa issuance process and wait times, as well as links for additional helpful information
Things to know while in the U.S.
- Employment - Information about different employment options for F-1 and J-1 students, including all necessary application forms. It also includes other work-related information, such as how to obtain a social security number and information about taxes.
- Travel - Requirements for traveling within and outside of the U.S., information about travel signatures, traveling while on OPT, and links to other countries' embassy websites for visa requirements.
- Taxes - Information regarding W-2 forms and tax treaty benefits.
Resources for living in the U.S.
Important information about things you will need to know once you are living in the United States. The links provided below explain how to obtain a driver's license, social security number, and cell phone service, how to open a bank account, how to search for housing, and how to find a doctor or hospital. Other useful resources are also provided to help you upon your arrival in the U.S.
- Area Airports - Information on the three nearest airports to the Northern Virginia Center.
- Banking in the U.S. - Documents necessary to open a bank account, as well as banks that do not require social security numbers to open accounts.
- Cell Phones - Information about prepaid plans and contract cell phone plans.
- Climate and Weather - A brief overview on the types of weather you will experience in the Northern Virginia / Washington D.C. area.
- Department of Motor Vehicles - How to obtain a driver's license or state identification card.
- Doctors, Urgent Care, and Area Hospitals - Information on how to find a local doctor (whether you have the student Aetna insurance plan or not), and explanation of the difference between visiting a doctor, urgent care, or hospital.
- Housing - Resources to help you locate housing in the National Capital Region.
- Social Security Numbers - Instructions for obtaining a social security number
- Transportation - Information about area transportation.