Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver’s licenses are issued by the state in which you reside; the laws for each state are different. The best source of information is your state’s Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) website. You may obtain a Virginia driver’s license from the Virginia DMV, a Maryland driver’s license from the Maryland DMV, and a Washington, DC driver’s license from the Washington, DC DMV.
Drivers License Requirements
In general, you will be required to provide the following:
- Valid passport with visa (if applicable)
- Form I-94, “Arrival/Departure Record”
- Form I-20 (for F students) or Form DS-2019 (for J students)
- EAD card (Form I-766 “Employment Authorization Document”), if on post-completion OPT
- Form I-797, “Notice of Action,” in cases of a change of status (e.g., from F-1 to H-1B)
- Social Security number (SSN) on a Social Security card or a Social Security Administration (SSA) Form SSA-L676, “Refusal to Process SSN Application.” Please visit this SSA website for more information.